As you look back at 2017, what is one thing you have learned?
As I look back this past year and think of what all I have learned from you during motivational interviewing training sessions, coaching calls and conversations, the list is impactful.
I have learned:
- You want the best for others. When you see individuals making life choices that are unhealthy and potentially life altering you want so badly to let them know and tell them what to do and why they should make the change. You care!
• You have learned that words matter and how we have conversations makes a difference. You are asking them their why and how they could see the benefits of this change. Pull rather than push.
- You are pulled in so many different directions and the requirements, policies, guidelines and mandates of your organization are constantly changing. Healthcare is in transition and you feel it.
• You have learned that flexibility is key to survival. You know that collaboration and working together as a team with warm handoffs is important. You also realize that requirements and guidelines will change so when the change happens you are not surprised, frustrated or overwhelmed.
- You are open to learning. You participated in sessions on motivational interviewing and strategies for engagement. You took notes and provided key learning “take aways” from our precious jewels list.
• You have learned how to be a curious learner. How to listen to new ways of having engaging conversations with others. You see how this shift in conversation can be more impactful for sustained change.
- You are busy taking care of others. Because you want the best for others and are employed in an organization that is full, busy, and demanding, taking care of you is often at the bottom of the list.
• You know that your well-being and taking care of you is important. You just are not sure how to do this in the demanding life you are leading. Information does not necessarily change behavior. Strategies for taking care of you and how that works in your life is something many of you are still sorting out or wanting to restart.
• What is one area you can begin to focus on and perhaps commit to in 2018? Your physical health? Eating for energy? Fitness for stamina Sleep for refreshment? Stress release for calm? What are you ready to do in 2018?
The good news is that this area is something I will be focusing on in 2018. Helping people make a “lifestyle shift” to enhanced well-being. Establishing or re-establishing the foundation of a healthy lifestyle. This will be done through blog posts, web-based informational sessions and one on one coaching sessions.
Questions for you as we begin 2018:
- What are the topics on wellness, lifestyle and self-care you are most interested in learning about?
- What format are you most interested in: blog posts, web-based informational sessions, membership community group of with others, or one on one coaching sessions with me
- What are the topics around patient centered care and motivational interviewing you are most interested in learning about?
I want to hear from you. Please send me a note in this blog post or send to email@example.com. I look forward to serving you and finding out what would be most beneficial to you in 2018. I also have a Facebook group that you join join.
If you know of others, perhaps your leadership team or a friend, who would be interested in learning more or receiving this and other blog posts, please feel free to forward to those individuals.
I look forward to working with you in 2018.