Four Reasons Why Fall and Motivational Interviewing are Fabulous
Fall brings hope and promise, just like motivational interviewing. Every season brings promise and a renewed sense of beginnings. This new sense of promise is what motivational interviewing is about as well.
Fresh starts, renewed attempts, and learning what is needed to move forward. A new lens, a new perspective, a new reason why.
Five Reasons Why Fall is Fabulous
1. Fresh air. There is nothing like breathing in the fresh, crisp air of the fall season. The fresh air is renewing, revitalizing and refreshing. Just like change can be in our lives.
2. Fragrance of wet leaves on the ground. Taking a walk or run outside on a path and smelling the fragrance of wet leaves along the pavement takes me back to childhood days of playing in the leaves. My birthday is in October so the smell takes me back to my childhood birthday parties.
3. Fuzzy, Wooley Bear Caterpillar. Known to me as the Wooley black and brown caterpillar. According to the legend: The Woolly Bear caterpillar has 13 distinct segments of either rusty brown or black. The wider the rusty brown sections (or the more brown segments there are), the milder the coming winter will be. The more black there is, the more severe the winter. When I am riding my bike on paths and see the Wooley Bear it makes me smile. The colors are so vivid. I only seem them in the fall. It feels like a long lost friend greeting each other once again.
4. Fire pits are never better than on a cool, crisp fall evening. Conversations around the campfire.
Staying outside to watch the sunset, roasting a few hot dogs on the open fire and maybe a marshmallow or two. I grew up with a fire pit in the backyard. Actually, it was more like a true campfire. We’ve had hundreds of family and neighborhood wiener roasts around the campfire throughout my life and my children’s early years. It was a time of true conversation and community.
5. Football. It is not so much the game of football that I love but what it brings to a group of people cheering on a group; it can make a community. There is something about a community, whether it is the town you live in or region, when people cheer together for a common goal. People unite together.
There is energy, movement, intention, strategies, music, colors, and anticipation going on in an outdoor stadium on a beautiful evening.
When working with individuals on change, a new sense of hope, promise and possibilities is what keep us moving forward. It gives us courage to be brave to address change. Motivational interviewing gives us the presence and the skills on how to be effective practitioners when we partner with individuals to see the possibilities and breathe in the new, fresh air. Just like the season of fall.
What are your favorite parts of fall?
How do you invite the fresh air of fall into your life?
Transform Conversations. Transform Healthcare. Transform Lives.
Dr. Becky Lang